Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sober people do funny things too.

As I go to untag questionable photos of me on facebook, I realize that all of the photos where I look like I am heavily inebriated, I am quite the opposite. And the few photos of me inebriated I look nice clean cut and cognizant.

I have too many pictures to filter everything. I give up.

Privacy settings it is.

People talk as if the ultimate goal is to get this great job in the corporate world many of my closet friends know as "hell". If money is all that you love then I guess I can see why its so lucrative to want to hide your personality in lieu of never getting a job.

Personally aside from health insurance, I'm not all that worried about it. In fact, I am quite happy with where I am at in my current state.

I am unashamed of the fact that on occasion I like to go out have a good safe drunken time with my friends. And I do not believe I should be judged professionally on what I do in my personal life.

Before recently I had set no privacy settings, and basically allowed anyone to see everything.

So where do you draw the line.

When at least 40% of employers check social media before hiring an applicant, can you afford to be open and frank with the images and content you put out there?

Perhaps I should just hold out for that other 60%.

Who knows.

This is what I do know.

Today a little girl came up to me in the stairwell and said politely and composedly, "Excuse me, can you tell me how to get downstairs?"

I had to skip a beat, fight the smart ass within me and resist the urge to mention the obvious. Well you see this gradated inclining structure on which you currently stand? Well what you do is you put one foot in front of the other on each respective step descending until you reach the first floor...

In her defense I think she was just confused about what doors to use to exit.

Being the nice person that I am, I engaged her in as much conversation as I could possibly muster(I don't converse well with those under the age of 18) and led her to her intended destination.

I remember what it was like to be a 9 year old girl. I was probably as clueless as she was, except the only difference: I never asked for help. Kudos for being resourceful.

I've decided not to worry about being declined for hire from prospective employers. I'm not sure I want to work for a place that will judge you because you like to have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment